Quality Sex at Any Age
The best years of your sex life may still be in store, as greater emotional maturity creates a foundation for quality sex in a way that goes beyond youthful inexperience.
Adults-only sex can be emotionally satisfying and physically thrilling as confidence and experience allow you to adapt love making style to changing body needs.
We’ve gone to the experts for quality sex tips to ensure you do get the best out of your sex life at any age:
Quality Sex Tip No 1
Be willing to change and adaptThe biggest challenge at any age is maintaining a sexy frame of mind and not allowing daily life to steal away your fun and spontaneity suggests Dr Joel D Block (Sex Over 50, Penguin). Be willing to adapt to changed needs:
- Physical change may mean sexual response is slower, but couples who enjoy quality sex understand they can spend more time in erotic touching and sex play
- Sex may be slower – and sex sessions longer – than when younger
- Sex may be more fulfilling for both partners
- Use your hands and mouth more, focus on sensate pleasure
- Make changes to more comfortable sex positions
Quality Sex Tip No 2
Don’t confuse genital performance with good lovingSexual performance is not the key to quality sex, and men can get too erection-focused and miss this point. Quality sex comes from a great relationship, says sex therapist Dr Bernie Zilbergeld (Sex & Love at Midlife, Crown House Publishing.)
If you invest in building the relationship, quality sex will follow:
- Give time with partner high priority
- Engage in affectionate touching at any time, not just when you want sex
- Listen to one another
- Do fun new things together
Quality Sex Tip No 3
Understand quality sex doesn’t “just happen”Couples who enjoy quality sex put a high priority on maintaining active sex, and plan for sex, and they expect sex to be regular and fun, says Dr Joel D Block.
To do that you need to:
- Make a date for sex
- Plan to have sex somewhere new
- Choose to make sex a priority
- Give yourself lots of time for sex
Quality Sex Tip No 4
Don’t be discouraged by pub talk and pornWatching porn and listening to mates boasting in the pub can give totally false ideas about “normal sex.” You don’t need three hours in the sack to have quality sex.
In fact men and woman have pretty similar ideas about how long an ideal sex session will last – and 7 to 13 minutes is a “desirable” time, according to a Pennsylvania State University. Most adults considered three to seven minutes “adequate.”
And that’s just as well, because a national survey of Aussie sex habits found more than half of Australian men last only two minutes before orgasm.
The two-minute statistic throws an interesting light of truth on the YouTube Heinz speedy soup ad, which features a couple having nookie for a mere two minutes – all the time needed for the woman’s soup to heat up.
He suggests it’s important to understand porn is “like watching a car chase in an action movie. It’s exciting. It’s entertaining. But everyone knows it’s not the way to drive.”
Quality Sex Tip No 5
Try new sex positionsDon’t be discouraged by physical changes that may mean you can’t have sex like you used to – adapt and enjoy, suggest the experts.
Male superior (missionary) or female superior (woman on top) are the most physically and psychologically arousing sex positions, says sex therapist Dr Barbara Keesling (Men in Bed Penguin)
But older lovers may find limitations due to erectile dysfunction or other health issues make these positions difficult. That’s no reason to give up on quality sex.
Dr Keesling suggests the butterfly position (a variation of missionary) or side to side is best for men with erection issues, or delayed ejaculation, or with a small penis because “it delivers great orgasms and gives the man more control because he doesn’t have to support his weight with his arms.”
The woman lies on her back, tilts her pelvis and puts her legs as far back as she can without feeling uncomfortable. (Putting a pillow under her hips can help.)
The man kneels between her legs so that he doesn’t have to support his weight with his arms and inserts his penis.
The benefits of the butterfly sex position for quality sex are:
- Allows penis to penetrate deeper and better stimulate vagina to orgasm
- Gives man greater control – he can use his penis to switch back and forth between internal strokes and stimulating his partner’s clitoris.
- Male partner can use his hands to alternate between intercourse and masturbation if he is having a difficult time maintaining an erection or being able to ejaculate
- Allows intimate eye contact and kissing if the man leans forward