Testosterone key hormone for male sexuality and drive
What is Testosterone and what does it do?
Testosterone is the male sex hormone, which is key to men's vitality. It's the hormone that:
- Provides sexual attractiveness and virility.
- Gives muscle and bone strength.
- Powers sex drive.
- Is responsible for sperm production.
- Stimulates mental alertness, energy and confidence.
Both men and women have testosterone, but men's testosterone levels are up to 20 times higher than women's. However, this doesn't mean that men have 20 times the sex drive – men just need more testosterone to fuel their sexual desire.
High Testosterone creates Alpha males
High testosterone men can be typical Alpha males, says Louann Brizendine, an American doctor and an expert on how hormones affect men’s brains. Quoted in The Male Brain: An Essential Owner's Manual for Every Man and a Cheat Sheet for Every Woman she says: “Focused and goal-oriented, he feverishly builds all that is male, including the compulsion to outrank other males on the pecking order.”
“He activates the sweat glands, sex and aggression, and he is single-minded in his pursuit of the desired mate. He is a convincing seducer but the grouchiest of bears when irritable.”
This somewhat stereotypical view of an Alpha male isn't the whole story though. Recent studies indicate that testosterone is a far more complex hormone than simply the trigger for fuelling aggression; rather it can propel men to seek higher status and thereby secure the most desirable females.
Testosterone can actually increase social cooperation, and moderates after fatherhood to sustain stable family life. One study even showed men were more likely to be honest and less likely to lie when they had healthy testosterone levels.
Testosterone plays key role in male health
It’s becoming increasingly clear that testosterone plays a key role in weight control, insulin sensitivity and the metabolic syndrome that leads to chronic illness, including Type 2 diabetes.
Latest research confirms testosterone is an important factor in blood glucose control, sensitivity of the body to insulin and the processing of fats such as cholesterol and triglycerides:
- There is a link between low testosterone and increased insulin resistance.
- Testosterone can reduce fat and increase muscle mass in middle-aged men.
- Testosterone can play a key role in controlling obesity – and especially abdominal fat – which is a high-risk factor for cardiovascular disease.
6 general symptoms of low testosterone
Some men notice little effect from having lower testosterone levels, but others will notice definite symptoms from having low testosterone. If you are lacking in testosterone you can experience some, or all, of the following:
- Lower sex drive, including fewer spontaneous erections – such as during sleep – and infertility.
- Insomnia or disturbed sleep.
- ‘Male Menopause’, which is characterised by reduced energy, increased weight, reduced muscle and bone strength, swollen and tender breasts (gynecomastia or 'manboobs').
- Reduced confidence and motivation, lower energy, depression, memory loss and loss of concentration.
- Chronic disease risk. Low testosterone levels are linked to metabolic syndrome – a cluster of metabolic risk factors that increase the chances of developing heart disease, stroke and diabetes.
- Erectile dysfunction. Erection drugs like Viagra may not work as effectively if testosterone levels are low, but if testosterone levels are supplemented these erectile drugs can display higher efficacy. Some men don’t require drugs any longer once their testosterone levels revert to normal.
5 sexual symptoms of low testosterone
Aside from the general symptoms above, men who need to increase testosterone may display these sexually related symptoms:
- Decreased desire – low sex drive.
- Erectile dysfunction.
- Difficulty achieving orgasm.
- Reduced amount of ejaculatory fluid.
- Reduced intensity of orgasm.
Causes of low testosterone
Testosterone naturally declines as you age, at a rate of about one to two percent a year from your 20s. It accelerates as you reach your 40s and 50s, and can be heavily affected by traumatic life events like job loss, divorce, and other severe forms of stress. Even a lack of sleep can depress testosterone and kill a man’s sex drive.
However, research shows testosterone is affected more by obesity, diabetes and depression than by aging alone. Gary Wittert, professor of medicine at the University of Adelaide, reported in the results of a study on testosterone that age had only a slight effect on testosterone levels in the 1,384 men studied over a five-year period. The main drivers of low testosterone levels according to the study were obesity, chronic disease, depression or health factors like smoking.
These findings are shared by the Director of the ANZAC Research Institute, Professor David Handelsman, who is the lead author of another significant testosterone study. He believes testosterone is being over-prescribed to men as an anti-ageing treatment, as his research shows low testosterone is not related only to ageing.
Treatment for low testosterone
Your doctor may prescribe testosterone treatments such as injections, gels, patches or gum pellets. It’s important to consult with your health professional to have the relevant tests done and treatments prescribed, if necessary. The gel can be a more appealing alternative to traditional injections, patches and oral medications that were previously the only way to correct testosterone deficiency.
It’s important to note that there can be dangers associated with testosterone treatment and testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) should be monitored to ensure levels stay within safe limits. Patches can cause skin irritation, and oral medications can cause liver damage. Some research links high levels of testosterone to prostate cancer.
Advocates of therapy to supplement low testosterone levels see testosterone as an important alternative treatment for erectile dysfunction and as a key to improving symptoms of low testosterone, such as fatigue and depression. Testosterone supplementation may also help with weight loss, and for reversing pre-diabetic metabolic syndrome.
If medical treatments don’t appeal, or you’re concerned about possible negative side effects, there are natural testosterone pills available, such as Herbal Ignite.
Why is Herbal Ignite for Men a good natural choice for boosting testosterone?
Herbal Ignite for Men is an over-the-counter dietary supplement taken daily with food to increase men’s health and libido. Its formulation works to:
- Support male sexual health.
- Support testosterone levels.
- Promote blood flow to the penis.
- Relieve stress and fatigue.
- Improve energy levels and confidence.
- Increase interest in sex or libido.
The three key herbs in Ignite for Men – Tribulus Terrestris, Horny Goat Weed and Avena Sativa – have been used in traditional medicine for centuries to rejuvenate men’s sexual and hormonal health. The herb Tribulus Terrestris, in particular, has also been found to naturally boost testosterone levels and is available in capsule form in herbal supplements like Herbal Ignite.
In the last 30 years, the traditional use of these herbs has been supported by some scientific studies, but there is still a lot we don’t understand about how exactly the active ingredients in these herbs work.
- Tribulus Terrestris lifts testosterone levels and improves sexual activity and muscular strength. It also generates male energy, confidence and stamina and men using Herbal Ignite report an improved sense of wellbeing. While Tribulus Terrestris supports and assists the body's natural production of testosterone it should be clearly understood that it is not a hormone supplement.
By promoting the production of the body's own hormones, it works only within the body's natural limits to help men achieve their strength and muscular potential. Tribulus Terrestris will not cause the body to indefinitely produce increasing amounts of testosterone – rather, it balances natural hormone levels.
- Horny Goat Weed increases desire and sexual performance. The active ingredients in this herb are PDE-5 inhibitors, which increase blood flow to the penis and help with better erections.
- Avena Sativa relieves stress and increases sexual desire. Many men notice a decline in sex drive and sexual strength because of the effects of stress and long working hours; this herb helps counter the effects of our tough modern lifestyle.
Herbal Ignite has been used successfully by thousands of men in New Zealand and Australia to increase testosterone levels and boost libido and sexual satisfaction. It also relieves stress and fatigue and improves energy levels and confidence. It has a potent herbal formula that works over time to help resolve the underlying causes of low sex drive in men and, in particular, low testosterone levels that result from aging.
Herbal Ignite is 100% natural and free of unpleasant side effects. It is made in New Zealand to the highest standards, with thorough testing and guarantees of no adulteration or undeclared ingredients.
Get Herbal Ignite for Men Special: Buy two bottles & get two more bottles FREE
Disclaimer. This information is provided for general informational purposes only and does not substitute for the advice provided by your medical professional. Always seek specific medical advice for treatment appropriate to you. Individual results may vary and are not guaranteed.