What is erectile dysfunction?
So what exactly is erectile dysfunction, otherwise known as ED? It’s as simple as this: If you suffer from ED (also referred to as impotence), you’ll be having difficulty getting or maintaining an erection strong enough or long-lasting enough for satisfactory sexual performance. But don’t panic if you are experiencing this inability to perform satisfactorily – one in five men over the age of 40 experience erection problems and it becomes more common with age.
It’s important to note that ED is different from low sex drive – which is having no interest in sex, even if you can get erections – and although it is common with age it is not an inevitable consequence of aging.
While most people attribute impotency to old age, it is more often stress, fatigue, lack of blood flow and dietary imbalance that cause the majority of ED cases. Sadly, there is a stigma attached to ED because virility in men is closely associated with sexual performance. ED can be distressing and lead to a loss of confidence and self-esteem, depression and relationship problems.
Even the term ‘dysfunction’ makes ED sound like the death knell for your sex life, when, in reality, ED is a predictable and treatable result of aging that’s usually easily fixed with a range of erectile dysfunction medications and cures. Sex is too important a part of life to just ‘give up’.
There are several key factors to consider when dealing with erectile dysfunction. Firstly, it’s important to understand that it’s common, so if you’re suffering from it, you’re not on your own. It’s also vital to recognise that it’s easy to diagnose and, most critical of all, you can do something about it.
The good news is that simple lifestyle changes may be enough to ward off the problem. That's because new research indicates erectile dysfunction is more common among men with diabetes or other risk factors for heart disease impacted by lower levels of exercise. Regular exercise and a healthy diet may improve erectile dysfunction by reducing these risk factors.
Symptoms of erectile dysfunction
There is a scale of erection incapacity. Symptoms start with the occasional inability to obtain a full erection, followed by being unable to maintain an erection throughout intercourse, and finally a complete failure to achieve an erection. A lack of morning erections is also often seen, along with a decrease in sex drive (libido).
Causes of erectile dysfunction
Like heart attacks and strokes, erectile dysfunction is most often caused by atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries). ED is generally not life threatening, but it still signals a health problem worth taking seriously, as it means that your blood vessels are not in ideal health.
Some diseases may interfere with penis function by either disturbing the nerves or lessening blood flow. When the first signs of erectile dysfunction occur there is sometimes an unknown underlying physical cause such as high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity, hypertension and the use of certain prescription medications. Because ED may be a sign of these potentially significant underlying conditions, left untreated, these could have a substantial impact on your health.
Research has highlighted that certain illnesses and medications, stress and the use of recreational drugs can contribute to erectile dysfunction. Poor lifestyle choices, including smoking, excessive alcohol consumption and inadequate physical activity can also cause ED.
Risk factors for ED include:
- Certain diseases and conditions interfering with blood flow.
- Drugs and medications, including illegal ones like cocaine.
- Damage to nerves from stroke, spinal-cord injury, or prostate and other types of surgery.
- Starting at midlife, the vessels of the penis begin to stiffen and become less pliable, making it more difficult for blood to flow through them.
- Psychological issues can also cause erectile dysfunction, including depression, anxiety, stress, low self-esteem, relationship problems and fear of sexual performance failure.
Erectile dysfunction treatments
- Erectile dysfunction medications like Silvasta, Viagra and Cialis.
- Effective herbal supplements like Herbal Ignite.
- Mechanical ED treatments like erectile injections, penile surgery and vacuum pumps.
ED medications may cause side effects, or be dangerous to your health, and it is important to talk to your doctor about potential side effects before starting a new prescription medication.
Research shows that sexual spontaneity is very important to men. So the more invasive treatments like pumps and injections, which require pre-planning before sex, are therefore not as popular.
What is Silvasta and how does it work?
One of the original, and more commonly prescribed, erectile dysfunction medications is Viagra, whose active ingredient is Sildenafil. Following the patent expiry for Sildenafil several years ago, several other drugs have been developed using this bioactive ingredient. One of these is Silvasta.
Like Viagra and other ED medications, Silvasta works by blocking an enzyme that is found in penile tissues. This, in turn, causes the smooth muscle of the penis to relax, increasing blood flow and helping men maintain a more rigid and longer lasting erection.
Silvasta can be bought over the counter in a pharmacy by over-35s in New Zealand. However, you will still need to run through a checklist with the pharmacist and have a heart and blood pressure check to avoid any potential health problems. While this less formal option is popular with men seeking ED medication, the New Zealand Medical Association fears issues like cardiovascular disease may not be picked up ‘in store’.
It is important to understand that Silvasta, and other ED medications, do not help at all with sex drive (libido). All they do is provide the physical means to have sex, but they do not act as an aphrodisiac.
Despite reports of negative side effects of erectile dysfunction medications and their possible links to heart attacks, their popularity continues. However, ED pills like Silvasta need to be taken 30-60 minutes ahead of sex. Understandably, this pre-planning often kills sexual spontaneity and puts many men off using it. “You take the pill and by the time you’re ready for sex, your partner’s fallen asleep,” is a common complaint.
Possible side effects of using Silvasta
Although erectile dysfunction medications work for most men, it’s important to understand that they may not be suitable for those with certain medical conditions, including coronary artery disease, or who are taking medicines containing nitrates.
The most common side effects of taking Silvasta are:
- Flushing (warm, red skin).
- Uncomfortable stomach.
- Blocked nose.
- Skin rash.
- Changes in colour vision.
These side effects are rare, but a doctor should be contacted if any are noticed:
- Unusual heart beat.
- Urinary tract infection.
- Blood in the urine.
- Continuing headaches or fainting.
- Bleeding from the nose.
- A prolonged (longer than four hours), or painful, erection.
- Allergic reactions, like shortness of breath or wheezing.
- Chest pain.
Factors affecting Silvasta’s effectiveness
Diet. Eating a large meal with high fat content just before taking Silvasta can delay it from working, as your body works hard to digest the food. By taking it on an empty stomach, the effects will work more quickly, but this can put paid to a nice romantic dinner before taking things to the next stage!
- Drinking alcohol decreases blood flow to the penis, making it harder to get and keep an erection. A glass of wine or a single beer is usually fine, but more than two drinks increases the risk of negative side effects and will make it more difficult to maintain an erection. Taking Silvasta with alcohol may also cause a headache or dizziness, a rise in pulse rate or a drop in blood pressure.
Misuse. There are people who use Silvasta as a sex enhancer even if they don’t have erectile dysfunction. Although Silvasta can intensify performance, it can only be effective if the erectile dysfunction is due to neurological factors rather than emotional or psychological factors. So it will not increase the response of a man who doesn’t have circulation problems. In other words, Silvasta is not truly an aphrodisiac that might increase sexual response.
It doesn’t work for women. Women suffering from a decreased sex drive will not benefit from Silvasta, unlike natural herbal supplements like Herbal Ignite, which offer benefits for both men and women.
Natural alternatives to Silvasta
Certain herbal products have been used in traditional medicine for centuries to rejuvenate sexual and hormonal health. These herbal ingredients contain natural aphrodisiacs that have shown themselves to be effective in increasing sexual performance and improving sexual desire.
These natural herbal supplements can often lead to longer, stronger erections and better control of ejaculation. In addition, users of natural aphrodisiac herbs report much greater enjoyment of the sexual act, with a more pleasant climax and orgasm. Herbal extracts also increase blood flow – not just to the genitals – but also to all parts of the body, including the brain. These natural alternatives work well, are safe and inexpensive.
Natural Silvasta alternatives can:
- Increase frequency of sexual intercourses for men.
- Increase possibility to reach orgasm in women.
- Boost sexual desire and sexual performance.
- Improve control over ejaculation.
- Increase subjective enjoyment and intensity of orgasm.
- Improve erectile capacity.
- Help to overcome erectile dysfunction naturally.
The Herbal Ignite remedy
In contrast to Silvasta and other ED medications, all-natural Herbal Ignite is taken as a daily tonic, regardless of sexual activity. You don’t have to think about ‘popping a pill’ to perform. The slight downside is that herbal erectile dysfunction treatments don’t work within hours. You usually need to be taking them for a few days before you notice any difference in erection strength. But once you have, there’s no stopping you!
Herbs, like those in Herbal Ignite, aid both the physical and psychological conditions that promote blood flow to the penis. They also increase testosterone levels to support erections and help relieve stress and fatigue, improve energy levels and confidence and build muscle mass.
The herbal formula works in a three-fold action:
- It stimulates men’s hormonal system to produce more testosterone; the male hormone which governs sexual performance and which naturally declines as men age.
- It improves energy levels, reduces stress and restores a sense of well-being.
- It promotes blood supply to the penis and aids to enhance sex drive.
The three key herbs in Ignite for Men – Tribulus Terrestris, Horny Goat Weed and Avena Sativa – have been used in traditional medicine for centuries to rejuvenate men’s sexual and hormonal health. In the last 30 years, this traditional use has been supported by some scientific studies, but there is still a lot we don’t understand about how exactly the active ingredients in these herbs work.
- Horny Goat Weed increases desire and sexual performance. The active ingredients in this herb are PDE-5 inhibitors, which increase blood flow to the penis and help with better erections.
- Tribulus Terrestris lifts testosterone levels and improves sexual activity and muscular strength. Testosterone is the male hormone that gives men mastery in sexual performance and is vital for libido and muscle growth. It also generates male energy, confidence and stamina. Men using Herbal Ignite report an improved sense of wellbeing.
- Avena Sativa relieves stress and fatigue. Many men notice a decline in sex drive and sexual strength because of the effects of stress and long working hours; this herb helps counter the effects of our tough modern lifestyle.
Herbal Ignite has been used successfully by thousands of men in New Zealand and Australia to increase testosterone levels and boost libido and sexual satisfaction. It also relieves stress and fatigue and improves energy levels and confidence.
Herbal Ignite is 100% natural and free of unpleasant side effects. It is made in New Zealand to the highest standards, with thorough testing and guarantees of no adulteration or undeclared ingredients.
Get Herbal Ignite for Men Special: Buy two bottles & get two more bottles FREE
Disclaimer. This information is provided for general informational purposes only and does not substitute for the advice provided by your medical professional. Always seek specific medical advice for treatment appropriate to you. Individual results may vary and are not guaranteed.